I have attached fstab. It has the paritions configured with root =
/dev/dha7 ext3, which is correct. I ran the e2fsck (because it said that
is had been over 12000 days since the last test, due to not resetting the
clock), and it reported no problems, 1.1% fragmentation.
What should I be using instead of devfs?
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> OK, I didn't have the devfs loaded into the kernel, so the new version
>> boots past that point. However, the boot stops when it tries to load
>> the root filesystem.
>
> You shouldn't use devfs.  It's obsolete.  Which liveCD / stage are you
> installing from?  Which profile are you using?
>
>> warning, no fsck.ext3 found.
>> Error: mounting an ext2 partition failed on /dev/hda7 (a little
>> different wording), Bad superblock, etc
>> type cntrl-D to cancel, or enter root passwd to fix:
>> and it is frozen (no keyboard recognised)
>> There is a copy of fsck.ext3 on /sbin/, so I think that it is not in
>> the initrd. Any ideas on how to fix this?
>
> Is /dev/hda7 an ext2 partition?  Are you sure you have your partition
> numbering right and that your fstab reflects your partition layout?
>
> -Joe
> --
could this be caused by my PRAM battery being DEAD (is says the year is 1904)
thanks,
nick
Also, I configured in both EXT2 and EXT3 kernel support...

# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.18.4.1 2005/01/31
23:05:14 vapier Exp $
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
# efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail / tail freely.
#
# See the manpage fstab(5) for more information.

<dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/hda7               /               ext3            noatime         0 1
/dev/hda6               none            swap            sw              0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro       0 0
#/dev/fd0               /mnt/floppy     auto            noauto          0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
proc                    /proc           proc            defaults        0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
shm                     /dev/shm        tmpfs           nodev,nosuid,noexec
0 0