Sorry, I've had a busy week and didn't have time to respond!

> OK - to me this doesn't look good:
>
>  # mount -t procfs none /proc
> mount:none has wrong device number or fs type procfs not supported

Sorry, that was my mistake, I was running from memory. :) You have the
right invocation below.

> on the off chance you menat proc instead of procfs I tried it that way
> and got a slightly more reasonable message:
>
> # mount -t proc none /proc
> can't create lock file /etc/mtab~1038: Read-only file system (use -n
> flag to override)
>
>> Now, try fsck.ext3 again. Does it work?
>>
> Worked fine. fsck.ext3 said it was clean

Cool, so now we know that fsck is fine.

>> Next, let's remount the root file system read/write so we can modify files:
>> # mount -o remount,rw /
>>
> Seemed to work. Got this message:
>
> EXT3-fs: (hda4):using internal journal
>
>> We'll copy the current mount information from proc to /etc/mtab and see
>> if that helps:
>> # cp /proc/self/mounts /etc/mtab
>> # mount -o remount,ro /
>>
>> Now, try fsck.ext3 again. Does it work?
>>
>> If so, try rebooting the system again. Does it boot now?
>>
> Didn't boot but got a little farther. Doesn't complain about mtab
> anymore but still complains:
>
> * Checking root filesystem...
> fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda4
> /dev/hda4:
> The superblock could not be read......

Okay, so we fixed the first thing. That's good. :) Can you attach your
whole kernel config? I'm wondering if maybe udev isn't running properly
due to a misconfiguration.

-Joe