OK I have spent a little bit of time looking at this.
*) of course the test suite needs jmol to complete properly;
*) documentation probably can be built with tachyon but I am not sure;
*) several defaults need to be changed to tachyon otherwise things will just
break;
*) the only alternative available in all cases where 3D rendering is needed is
tachyon - but basic 3D plots could also use threejs.

There are 3 places where a patch needs to be applied to change the default.
One of them would fall back on tachyon but it is probably better just to be
consistent.

I definitely can do something about this for 8.2. I think
the issues are clearly identified.

François