Hi all,

There are a number of bugs about packages that are part of suitesparse
in bugzilla. It strikes me that all the versions in portage are rather
old. The various packages were last touched by bicatali and he split
the main suite sparse tarball into its components and autotooling
each one of them. Lots of work.
There is another problem with that
$ wget https://dev.gentoo.org/~bicatali/distfiles/amd-2.3.1.tar.bz2
--2019-03-18 22:46:02--
https://dev.gentoo.org/~bicatali/distfiles/amd-2.3.1.tar.bz2
Resolving dev.gentoo.org... 140.211.166.183, 2001:470:ea4a:1:5054:ff:fec7:86e4
Connecting to dev.gentoo.org|140.211.166.183|:443... connected.
2019-03-18 22:46:03 ERROR 404: Not Found.

It’s all gone. Luckily we have the tarball on mirror but the dev-space
that is the SRC_URI for the tarball is gone.

I am volunteering to do some maintenance on those package, starting with
updating everything to suitesparse 5.4.0. I have started working on this.
But I am realising that if I go the same way as bicatali, I’ll need some
dev space myself. I have a resource right now, tied to sage but I don’t
know how long it will last. Suggestions welcome.

My current plan is development in sage-on-gentoo and once it looks OK
I’ll want assistance in shepherding a branch with all the ebuilds
together in the tree. Hopefully, the next updates won’t be as painful.

François