Well, it all works fine for me with raid0 on root and raid1 on boot.
I'm using kernel-2.4 on sparc32.  I know you have to jump through a ton
of hoops on 2.2, but 2.4 and 2.6 are fairly painless:

1) Make sure the hard drive partitions are type 'fd' in fdisk.  This
tells the kernel to look for the raid superblock and construct the raid
at boot (instead of waiting for raidstart or mdadm to be called).

2) construct the raid using mdadm or raidtools.  If you did this before
setting the partition type, it's safe to change the partition type after
the raid is constructed.  Additionally, make sure you tell mdadm or
raidtools to create an md superblock on the array.

Here's my silo.conf:
---
partition = 1
root = /dev/md1 # This is raid0