On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 01:07:29AM -0400, Robert G. Hays wrote

> >IMHO move on to mozilla, unless there really is something showstopping
> >holding you to netscrape.
> >*shudder* have not used netscrape for many moons, didn't even know you
> >could still get it?
> >
> Still strong: :: Win: currently 7.2  Lin: currently 7.1
>
> <... *shudder* ...> :: 7.0 was *massively* better than any previous, 7.1
> modestly-moderately better than 7.0  (In Win; haven't had Lin-Video up
> to my standards until just now with Gentoo.)
>
> I *need* all past email to remain in use, without any chance of loss or
> error, and I need all new email to go to the same place, and I bloody
> well intend, if possible, to use *one* tool to access all of it.  Ditto
> bookmarks, eddresses, etc..
>
> If Netscape/Linux won't share thusly with Netscape/Win, then I will be
> looking for something else in Linux, or both. Current thought has Opera
> for both as browser, and I have no email candidate yet -- *MUST* work
> same in both o/ss!  Oh, and I have at least two mailboxes from two
> different providers, and Netscape handles both in the same screen.
>
> If Netscape will work & share, there would have to be a very good reason
> to change.  That said, I'm certainly willing to learn newer browse/mail
> tools for real advantage (but not for 'cooless' or 'religious'
> nonsense), but I absolutely *need* Win & Lin to play nice by using one
> file-set for both's everything depending on which o/s I've booted into
> at any particular moment.
>
> Can Mozilla SHARE the Win/Netscape bookmarks, history, eddress-book,
> **and** local accumulated-mail folders with my Win/Netscape ?

> Feel free to jump in and educate me, Nick, folks!

  Well, since you asked...
  - Netscape up to and including version 4.x was proprietary software
    with abysmal spaghetti code.

  - Netscape 6 and onwards *IS* Mozilla.  Specifically, it's an
    AOL-branded Mozilla 1.x "distro", complete with AOL's AIM and other
    AOL garbage, which you may not want.  The only problem I expect is
    that you may not be able to have both installed simultaneously due
    to the fact that they have the vast majority of their files the same.

  You should be able to copy stuff back and forth.  They're the same
programs.  I don't see any problems other than copying pure text files
between linux and Windows; <LF> versus <CR><LF>.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will