Tom Moyer wrote:

I may just not be seeing an easy way to do this, so I figured I would
ask if any one had any ideas.

I currently have 3 hard drives in my computer:
hda - Windows XP - 40 Gig
hdb - Gentoo - 120 Gig
hdc - nothing (I think it might be dead) - 30 Gig

I got Windows running in qemu and no longer have a use for my Windows
installation on hda and would like to be able to make the setup like
the following:
hda - Gentoo - 120 Gig
hdb - Gentoo - 40 Gig (holding /home)
hdc - Gentoo - 30 Gig (holding qemu .img file for Windows)

what would be the easiest way to do this without killing gentoo?

I know I would have to edit /etc/fstab, but I'm not sure how to go
about changing my Grub setup to handle the new drive setup.

Thanks,
Tom

More info might get better answers than mine...

Where is grub installed?
Is there something else on ide1 with the possibly dead 30G?
The 30G *is* on ide1, end/master connection, right?
Why doo you thing the 30G is dead.
What kind of Internet connection do you have?

Trying without those, and assuming a certain amount of knowledge on your part from where you're at right now...

Go into linux, start grub (the program), make an install floppydisk, shut computer off, swap hda & hdb, insert grub boot floppy, turn computer on & go to bios setup and insure that floppy is set to boot before hda, and install grub to MBR (or /boot) of new 120G hda.

If want /boot, be sure to do fdisk or (my favorite for this) cfdisk & write down where your /boot ( or / ) is before above.

Of course, read & maybe even print (horror-of-horrors...) the man-grub or grub docos or whatever before starting above.

It might even, after reading grub data, to simply install grub to mbr/boot of hdb from current setup. (?)

best,
rgh.