Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

>I'm travelling on business and trying to use the hotel-supplied internet.  I'm
>using a Telkonet Bridge through the building's wiring.  (Laptop -> Cat-5
>cable -> Telkonet -> building wiring.)  My laptop is an up-to-date Gentoo,
>2.6 kernel, IBM Thinkpad R51.
>
>DHCP works to give me an IP address, and sets the default
>gateway.  /etc/resolv.conf gets automatically changed to one line:
>
>nameserver 168.95.1.1

A few things to check:

First, can you ping the nameserver's IP address??

Second, do you have 'dns' on the "hosts:" line in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
If not, your system will not use DNS for host name resolution.

Finally, can you do a "host www.utk.edu 198.95.1.1".  This only works if
you have emerged bind-tools...

With the connection at my hotel, even though it is free, I still have to
login via a web site before I can use it.  I just bring up firefox,
which tries to access my home page, but it gets the login page instead.
Is there something similar going on at your hotel??  Maybe you have to
login before you can get access to the DNS server?

-Richard