Ah, 'etc-update'! I knew there was some tool to semi-automate the
process, but I can never remember the name.

The emerge warning always directs me to consult 'emerge --help config'
for more information, but this omits any mention of anything other than
manual searching and updating..

Perhaps it would be better if the emerge warning directed people
to consult 'man etc-update' instead, with the content of
of 'emerge --help config' incorporated into that entry.

The other thing that I would quite like to see is some way
to identify the package that generated the update file. Maybe
encoded into the '._cfg..' filename, or logged in a file somewhere.
Sometimes it is not obvious where to look if more information is
needed to decide if an update is necessary.. Or is this information
available somewhere and I just havn't found it???

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll discard the alsa update file.

Regards,
DigbyT