On 4/20/05, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jan Drugowitsch <jdrugo <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I've been looking around online, but I haven't found any good summary
> > and comparison page about the use of recently priced webcams for the
> > use with linux (and in particular Gentoo). Could anyone recommend
> > webcams that are properly supported in linux and are not too expensive
> > but have a good quality/price ratio? Tips on which ones to avoid would
> > also be welcome!

[snip]
> Also, the term 'webcam' is a bit too generic. Are you after cameras to be used
> with your web_whatever that are based on usb (usb1.1 or usb 2.0)? Or are
> your after cameras that output video right over ethernet, or output
> ntsc(pal) into a frame grabber board?

I ment a standard (cheap but capable) usb webcam.

> Also, you have to look at the output format i.e. mjpeg, which is jerky and low
> quality in general or something new and fantastic, such as H.264. Camera
> technology that works over ethernet with TCP/ip is in flux right now,
> due to a wide variety of issues. You may want a camera that supports
> open standards for video, such as Ogg-theora.
>
> My suggestions is you read for a few weeks/months to decide what you are
> doing,
> what work with the kernel version(s) you intend to use, and what new
> technologies
> are applicable to your needs.

I intend to use it with >2.6.10 kernels. However, the v4l driver
section only gives the chipset and it's not too easy to gather
information about what chipset is in what camera

> For a cool viewing package, check out Zoneminder. Xawtv and Came and mplayer.
> In their documentation, or any other package you are going to use to
> view the video, usually they list cameras that are know to work.

Will do, thanks for the tip.

> One important caveat. Vendors often change the chipsets used in cameras
> but keep the name of the camera the same. So one particular make and model
> of a camera may work and yet another does not, because the ass_hole vendor
> switched the chipsets used in the camera. When they switch chipsets
> you usually need to use a different device driver to get it
> working under linux. USBVIEW and USBUTILS are great
> tools for discovering details of usb based cameras.
>
> PCI based cards can be discerned by lscpi lshw commands.
>
> Test before you purchase is my recommendation.

Thanks for all the information! The testing before purchase won't be
easy, but I'll see what the shops say about that.

Jan