On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 16:16 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I am trying to build a package called sipXphone.  It requires
> glib-2.4.2, but most of my current packages require glib-2.6.3 (the
> latest version).

"requires" glib-2.4.2 sounds unlikely. Presumably you mean that it
doesn't compile against glib-2.6.3?

If the issue you are coming up against is
http://track.sipfoundry.org/browse/XPL-107 then the bug is
(a) obvious and
(b) trivial to fix: replace #include <glib/g*.h> with <glib.h>.

> One would think that the versioning would be backwards
> compatible but this is not the case.  I still don't know how to proceed
> except by building this old version, in a special area that doesn't
> conflict with the rest of the system (ie. /usr/local).

Yup. glib's internal SLOT-like logic means that two 2.x versions will
conflict, as its includes and libraries take the name glib-2.0.

Installing to /foo with portage is in theory possible, but tricky:
assuming the package uses autotools and the ebuild uses econf and emake,
you need to mess around with EXTRA_ECONF and EXTRA_EINSTALL, or just
hack the ebuild to pass appropriate prefix (see ebuild(5)). You would
also have conflicts with the pkgconfig .pc files; first you would need
to get it to drop the .pc files in a different place
than /usr/lib/pkgconfig, then export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/path/to/pc/files
when compiling using the new package.

What could be easier is setting up a chroot environment and building
packages there; glib has AFAICR excellent binary compatibility.