On Apr 21, 2005, at 6:52 pm, Steve [Gentoo] wrote:

There was an interesting bit in the vgetty faq about potential imminent support for class 1 fax modems... but there was no hint as to a timescale.

"Imminent" would not be a correct statement of the current status. See <http://www.altramelia.it/mess_6329_2353960.html>

I would like to work out if it would be worth my while to look around for another cheap modem or wait... if sometime this year a usable (very small volume) support for Class 1 faxes becomes available then that would probably be fine - I've other (less convenient) options which can see me through until then.

Look around for a cheap replacement. I have been very lucky with a 28.8k Hayes Accura that I got from a car-boot sale - it does UK CLID, fax & voice. I would expect that you could find something suitable for next to no $$$ if you keep your eyes open.

Stroller.