Ok, making progress.  I installed 6.8.2-r1, did X -configure and its
working, well mostly.  Two problems.

well first, it seems like its running at a really high resolution, I
always ran at 1600 which I thought was the highest this card could do
(I vaguely remember it being the highest in windows).  And at this
resolution the refresh rate is not right, it seems awfully low.  if I
have a white background I can lines moving on the screen.

Second, fonts are huge!  fonts in web pages seem normal, but font in
everything else is way out of proportion.

The only change I made from the xorg.conf created for me was to change
driver from "ati" to "radeon" which didn't make any difference.  And
putting modes in the display section to try to get it to go to 1600,
again, no luck.  maybe it is 1600 and my eyes decieve me, I don't
know.  I tried with no luck to decifer xorgs log.

Almost there, any more suggestions would be great.  I'll start digging
through forums at work tomorrow, right now I must go somewhere else,
the monitor is already giving me a headache.

I attached my new xorg.conf for ur viewing pleasure.