Marc,

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:51:37PM +0200, Marc Schlienger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a notebook with Intel Pentium M processor (Dell Latitude D800) and
> experienced the following problem: There is a strange sound
> (beep-beep-beep ...) which seems to come from the processor. Currently I'm
> using kernel 2.6.11-gentoo-r5 but this sound is also there with every other
> kernel I tried. And I tried many kernels. I then realized after playing
> arround with the kernel config that the kernel module "processor" is the
> source of the problem. As I need this module to be able to change the
> processor speed it is no solution not to compile this module into the kernel
> or not to use it as module. I heard of a "processor" module from Intel but
> couldn't find it yet for 2.6.x kernels.
>
> Any suggestions?

Well, you should be safe to change it to another setting that doesn't
cause the problem. Intel SpeedStep, A.K.A Frequency Scaling should work
regardless -- presuming you have that driver (it's under Power
Management -> CPU Frequency Scaling IIRC). Apart from that I can't
really suggest much.

Tom

--
Tom Martin, http://dev.gentoo.org/~slarti

AMD64, net-mail, shell-tools, recruiters, vim
Gentoo Linux