On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 04:20:51PM +0100, Ognjen Bezanov wrote:
> Toby Cubitt wrote:
>
> >I recently successfully set up my gentoo box as a wireless access point using
> >a D-link DWL-G520, which is based on the Atheros chipset so is supported by
> >the madwifi driver (in portage). It does 54Mbps, and setting it up was
> >hassle-free for me.
> >
> Wait a min, I thought that Prism-based cards are the only ones which are
> capable of working as Access points, how did you manage this?

I guess luckily no one told me that! As far as I understand it, the only thing
you need in order to use a card as an access point is to be able to set it to
"master" mode. The madwifi and Prism drivers both support this.

I've no idea how new support for master mode is in the madwifi driver, so
maybe what you said was true until recently. But it definitely works now.

> >The only thing I haven't got working with it yet is WPA encryption.
> >Apparently
> >it is possible, just not well documented at the moment. WEP is working fine
> >though. (If anyone has any tips on how to get WPA working, I'd love to hear
> >them!)
> >
> Sorry cannot help, but am interested in this, because its getting harder
> for me to find new cards with the older prism chipsets to use as access
> points.

Yup. That's exactly why I ended up buying an Atheros based card.

Toby
--
PhD Student
Quantum Information Theory group