On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 16:23 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 4/29/05, Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Both samba and cups depend on networking.
> >
> > and to enlarge on that when you restart networking, you restart any
> > services that depend on networking.
>
> Yes, that's what I thought must be happening. However I have multiple
> interefaces - lo, eth, and wlan0. I restart wlan0 and it seems that I
> get these messages. If I was restarting all networking I could
> understand that but I would have thought that if I restart only a
> single interface it wouldn't require a complete restart of everything
> that depends on networking.
>
> This may seem like a small issue. I'm not sure it is. (What do I
> know...I'm not that smart.) Since the machine is running MythTV and
> Myth requires mythbackend and mythbackend requires mysql and mysql is
> bound to eth0 when I restart wlan0 it seems a stretch to say that all
> of this stuff should have to go through a restart. I'm somewhat
> concerned that it's going to interfere with Myth doing what I want it
> to do.
>
> No eveidence yet that it does. It's just a concern.

instead of restarting wlan0, try using pause instead.

Its in TFM here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=4

"If you want to stop a service, but not the services that depend on it,
you can use the pause argument:"

like

/etc/init.d/net.wlan0 pause start (I think you can give two commands on
one line, if it doesn't work like that use:

/etc/init.d/net.wlan0 pause
/etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start
)

--