This is a subtle KDE problem, in a nutshell :

If I use kde logged in as myself, I go to control center > style >
preview, I see tab 1 & tab 2. There is a slight line below the tabs
which defines the top of the preview box as it should be.

If I use kde logged in as my wife, I go to control center > style >
preview, I see tab 1 & tab 2. However there is no line below the tabs to
define the top of the preview box, it just merges with the gray background.

This phenomena effects several apps including thunderbird making it look
washed out with no defined tops to the 'subject', 'recipient', and
'date' fields.

I have checked through the control center but all the settings seem the
same.

I am at a loss, does anyone have any suggestions ?

Dave