Hi,
I do not know if this can be of any help at all, but I am currently
running Gentoo on
an IBM ThinkPad T41p without any problems.
I think that you could try to re-compile the kernel with some
different combination
of the ACPI options enabled.
I am using kernel 2.6.11-gentoo-r6 and I am not doing anything fancy with Power
Management (no freq. scaling, suspend etc...) Assuming that your T40 and my
T41p are similar in terms of PM, here is my PM kernel config section:

#
# Power management options (ACPI, APM)
#
CONFIG_PM=y
# CONFIG_PM_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND is not set

#
# ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
#
CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
# CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=m
CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=m
# CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=m
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=m
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=m
# CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_IBM=m
# CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=0
# CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
# CONFIG_X86_PM_TIMER is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_CONTAINER=m

#
# APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS Support
#
# CONFIG_APM is not set

#
# CPU Frequency scaling