Disclosure: I work for this company:

www.makingthings.com

USB to wide range of digital and analog inputs and outputs. High current
outputs can directly drive solenoid valves. (You don't need to, but you
can use the inputs for things like limit switches, various sensors e.g. temperature, pressure, position, etc.)

Simple SDK runs on Linux (of course). I use it for my personal projects
with gentoo. Uses the FTDI driver which is in the Linux kernel. You can
download and play with the SDK right away (although of course you won't
be controlling anything real until you buy some hardware). Sample
applications. All software is free and downloadable by anyone.

Hardware is very reasonably priced, in my opinion and in what we hear
from customers and would-be customers. It's based on a modular network,
so you can add more inputs and outputs if your needs grow. The first
module you buy has the USB port, $189 for 4 analog inputs, 2 digital
inputs, 2 digital outputs, and 2 PWM outputs.

We do have a mailing list for users and would-be users, see link from
our website.

Best of all, perhaps, I'm on this list, so you have the ear of one of
the engineers there :-)

I'm happy to answer questions either on-list (if there is enough
interest to make it on-topic) or off-list.

Michael