There has long been talk of deprecating etcat and qpkg in favor of
equery, has that been finalized? I updated to portage-2.0.51.21-r1
yesterday and can no longer find the etcat and qpkg commands.

And what is it with the changelogs? Maybe I've looked in the wrong
place, but I didn't see that change mentioned at all in the changelog
for portage (actually, I didn't even see a changelog when I issued
`emerge -vlPu portage').