On Mon, 09 May 2005 10:20:23 -0700, Drew Tomlinson wrote:

> >So "emerge --oneshot shadow" should restore things to their defaults.

> Setting the setuid bit on /bin/su and /bin/login fixed my login
> problems.  I'm tried this suggestion and it worked.   However I don't
> quite understand exactly what the "oneshot" option does.  The man page
> says:
>
> Emerge  as normal, but do not add the packages to the world profile for
> later updating.

That's it. When you emerge a package, the package is added to your world
file, but any dependencies that are emerged are not. So the world file
contains only those packages that you explicitly want, not their
dependencies. Whenever I re-emerge anything I always use --oneshot, on
the basis that if it belongs in world, it is already there and if it
doesn't, I don't want to spoil things by adding it now.

shadow is a clear example of this, as it is a package you would never
install manually (in fact it is part of system).

--
Neil Bothwick

Groucho Borg: "That's the silliest thing I ever assimilated..."