Hey guys.  I just re-compiled a new system from scratch for the first
time using 2.6 instead of 2.4 and I've been very pleased so far.  I have
one problem though: when I was using 2.4 I was able to use mplayer to
play video directly to the console via framebuffer (/dev/fb0) instead of
svgalib, but when I do so with 2.6, while /dev/fb0 exists and while I
have it working with bootsplash just fine, when I run mplayer on
/dev/fb0, I crash the display and have to ssh into the machine from
another computer.  Even after killing the mplayer process, video remains
non-functional.  I tried shutting down the computer (init 0) from an
ssh'd terminal, but coming back into the room a few minutes later
revealed that the machine would not shut down and so I had to push the
button manually (which means yucky filesystem scans...) Anybody have any
ideas as to how I can get this to work?  I suppose it's not a big deal,
but I'd still like to get this working if I can.  I'm also planning on
giving XDirectFB a try one of these days, so hopefully I won't have the
same problems... :(  Thanks in advance.

James