Scenario: using vtun to build a Lan-to-Lan VPN.
One end FreeBSD, one end Linux.

On the BSD box I can set up a route directly through the tun0
device without having to assign it an IP address, like this:

 ifconfig tun0 up mtu 1450 -arp
 route add 192.168.10.0/24 -interface tun0

and it works just fine. On Linux (I've tried Gentoo and Redhat)
it would seem that the following should work:

 ifconfig tun0 up mtu 1450 pointopoint
 route add -net 192.168.10.0/24 dev tun0

However I get a:
SIOCADDRT: No such device

which suggests that the tun device doesn't support the right
ioctl variants.

Has anyone done this? It's easy enough to do it using throw-away
IP addresses for the two "ends" of the tunnel, but it's neater if
they can be avoided.