THE SECOND PROBLEM concerns installing gnuplot.
As I've said, everything was installe by emerge and, according to
emerge -tpuD gnuplot evarything needed is installed except with the gnuplot
itself.

What is given by emerge to STDOUT I shall not include here (about 45kB...)
but on the first sight there's nothing suspicious (to me, but I'm not an
experienced Linux user...).
The result on STDERR is:

configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
configure: WARNING: Please see INSTALL for a required readline bugfix.
svgalib: Cannot open /dev/svga
Is svgalib_helper module loaded?
make[2]: *** [eg1.tex] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: media-gfx/gnuplot-4.0-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 67, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status
message.

When doing modprobe svgalib_helper the only result is (on STDERR):
FATAL: Error inserting svgalib_helper
(/lib/modules/2.6.11-gentoo-r6/kernel/misc/svgalib_helper.ko): Unknown
symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

dmesg gives a lot of text, ending with:
3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
0000:00:10.0: 3Com PCI 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0x7480. Vers LK1.1.19
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/a9
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/10
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/a10
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/11
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/a11
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/4
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/a4
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/5
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/a5
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/6
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/a6
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/7
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/a7
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/8
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/a8
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/9
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:10.0[A] -> GSI 10 (level, low) -> IRQ 10
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/2
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/a2
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/a9
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/3
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/a3
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/10
devfs_mk_dev: could not append to parent for vcc/a10
svgalib_helper: Unknown symbol devfs_mk_symlink

If it be of some help, I can include whole listing (about 14kB...)
The question is: what to do to install gnuplot?
Regards.

--
Marcin Balcerzak

<<smile.gif>>