Ok, this sound bug is really getting annoying.  It has persisted over
every distro I have every tried and it never fails to show its ugly face
at least 2 or 3 weeks after I install the distro, and every time the
same exact fix fixes the problem.

The scenerio:

I install the distro (can be any distro), sound works great for at least
a week.  Then, the sound in konsole decides it's not going to work
anymore yet every other application still has sound.  But its not only
Konsole that loses the sound.  Its ANY application that uses KDE's
System Notifications.  Talk about annoying!!!!  Do you realize how many
apps use that thing?  You'll see why it's annoying in a minute.

Then, once the sound stops working, the ONLY way to fix it is to go into
the sound system controls for EVERY SINGLE  ENTRY in the system
notifications and change the player to xxxxplay  (replace xxxx with
whatever daemon you are using, I happen to use arts).  So, if I place
artsplay in ever single entry there for the player, the sounds start
playing.  But, if I select "use KDE's sound system", nothing will play
at all where as previously it would work just fine.  I've now had this
happen with Debian, Mandrake, Fedora Core 2 and 3, and now Gentoo.
Since most of the people who run Gentoo know a little more than those
that run the other distro's, I'm hoping someone in here may have had the
same problem and can tell me why it does this.

What in the heck causes this problem?  I've changed absolutly NOTHING.
Heck I wasnt even at the computer when it decided to die!!!  I came home
from work and I missed about 10 msgs from my wife because Kopete wasnt
sending the sound.  I caught hell for it to.