If you use control-alt-insert, you can open a new session with the same
properties as your existing X session.  This will also include 3D
support.  Well, at least it does for me and I run an ATI 8500, but I
dont use the propriatary trash that ATI spews out.  It has 5% of the
features that it should.  The DRM drivers are light years ahead of ATI's
own driver.  I use the DRM drivers instead.