On Thursday 19 May 2005 03:31, James Hiscock wrote:
> > Is it possible to securely access the nfs sharea, and smb shares on the
> > bsd machine, or the other linux desktops like I am on teh LAN. Both ends
> > use dynamic IP's, so it also has to be compatible with dyndns or
> > something like that to find them.
>
> Maybe setup a VPN using OpenVPN? Not sure how secure it is, but I
> suspect you'd be able to wrap it in an ssh tunnel...

OpenVPN already uses an SSL layer to encrypt the connection and uses
public/private key authentication.
The only downside, in my opinion, is that the packages go between user and
kernel space a few times (encryption is done in userspace, but the programs
think they talk to a 'real' network interface)

But it's far more simple to setup then OpenSwan or similar programs.

> ...but then, I've never done (or had a need to do anything like) this
> myself, so I'm might be completely crazy...

I use it to connect to my computer when I'm visiting my parents (they live in
a different country) and to encrypt my wireless connection at home.

Call me paranoid if you like, email goes plain-text until it gets collected by
the mailserver at home :)

Cheers,

Joost