On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 07:52:59PM -0400, Peng wrote:
> On 05/21/05 16:26, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> >>Remember that when you ask a question in HTML and the person that really
> >>knows the answer does even read it because he is too "time straped" to
> >>sort the message from the decorations.
> >While I can't say I answer that many questions here, I am one of those
> >troublesome users that refuses to read HTML email, even though my client
> >(KMail or Firefox/Horde,
> >depending on where I'm at) supports it.  [I turn support off, as both a
> >security precaution and personal preference.]
> >I don't even read HTML replies to my own questions.  I figure anyone that
> >won't turn off HTML for mailing list posts couldn't possibly provide me with
> >any useful information. ;)
>
> How is HTML a security risk? JavaScript could be, I suppose, but HTML?
> --

One thing that frustrates me about HTML email is the fact that
people put ping tags in it. Not much of a security issue, but I
wouldn't like it if I accidentially opened up spam only to confirm
my email address.

As far as security, if the browser supports Java or JavaScript then
bad things can happen. Or possibly an exploit for the HTML rendering
engine. Many more chances for bad things to happen...thats why I use
Mutt-ng :D

--
David Stanek
www.roninds.net

GPG keyID #6272EDAF on http://pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint = 8BAA 7E11 8856 E148 6833  655A 92E2 3E00 6272 EDAF