Joseph wrote:
> I used these two time servers in the past with rdate and didn't have
> much problem:
> tick.usno.navy.mil
> time.nist.gov
>
> However, I couldn't get any one of the to work yesterday, the first one
> is working fine on windows but not with Linux.
>
> They respond to ping correctly.
> Yesterday I've tried pool.ntp.org it wouldn't work, today it works
> correctly.

At first, you should realize, that there are two different protocols for
time syncronization: the more simple time protocol (RFC 868 TCP protocol
server) or the more accurate NTP (RFC 2030 protocol).

Often rdate uses the first one by default. So if you refer to
pool.ntp.org, which is obviously for the second protocol, the servers
may support the firts one just by coincidence, but it's not what they
are here for.

You could have a look to "man rdate", if an option like

-n      Use SNTP (RFC 2030) instead of the RFC 868 time protocol

exists, as it does on OpenBSD - I don't have rdate on my Gentoo box.
Or you could try an ntpd - OpenNTPD for example. It's a lightweight NTP
Deamon and it's in portage. That should work with pool.ntp.org.

If you are familiar with all that, maybe some other servers may work
better for you. To select a timeserver which is geographically close you
may take a look at:
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers
and of course
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/RulesOfEngagement