Brett,
   Thanks. Looking at 50.xxx there are rules for v4l devices but for
some reason they do not seem to be turning on:

# v4l devices KERNEL="video[0-9]*",   NAME="v4l/video%n",
SYMLINK="video%n", GROUP="video"
KERNEL="radio[0-9]*",   NAME="v4l/radio%n", GROUP="video"
KERNEL="vbi[0-9]*",     NAME="v4l/vbi%n", SYMLINK="vbi%n", GROUP="video"
KERNEL="vtx[0-9]*",     NAME="v4l/vtx%n", GROUP="video"

My wife's Gentoo machine serves as our MythTV backend machine at home.
It uses udev and it makes the devices automatically but for some
reason this new installation doesn't.

I do not know that udev is my problem but my wife's machine has never
run anything except udev. My dad's machine (I'm there visiting right
now) ran devfs when I built it 18 months but I switched it to udev
yesterday trying to make some headway on getting MythTV running here
while I'm visiting for a few days.

I hope someone has some ideas. It may not be udev at all and maybe I'm
focusing on the wrong thing. I've followed the Gentoo-wiki for MythTV
before. It has a number of small mistakes or at least ambiguities in
it, from what I remember, when I did my wife's machine. Maybe I've
missed something.

Back to the drawing board.

Thanks,
Mark