Necoro schrieb:
William Kenworthy schrieb:

I can sync my palm fine using jpilot by hitting sync on the palm, then
sync on jpilot.  udev creates the nodes (I have set them
as /dev/tts/USB0 and /dev/tts/USB1) when the palm sync is run, and
deletes them when finished.

The problem is that most software (pilot-link, gnome-pilot, ...) seems
to expect the nodes to be present all the time - and udev keeps deleting
them!  Even if I manually create the nodes udev will politely delete
them after a sync - causing gnome-pilot to never sync again (until
killed/restarted)

Manually creating the nodes and commenting out the rule in 50-udev.rules
didnt work either (the nodes stayed, just didnt work - no sync).  How
can I make udev play nicely?

BillK

Just create a link like /dev/pilot pointing to the special node... I think that should help, but i don't know your exact problem.

Necoro

So ... ehm... after having had the same problem (I "migrated" to udev yesterday night), i know what you are meaning. And I have it solved as following:

a) when you are using "/dev/pilot" as the device
change in 50-udev.rules:

KERNEL="ttyUSB[0-9]*", NAME="tts/USB%n"

KERNEL="ttyUSB0*", NAME="tts/USB0"
KERNEL="ttyUSB[2-9]*", NAME="tts/USB%n"
KERNEL="ttyUSB1*", NAME="tts/USB%n", SYMLINK="pilot"

The important one is the last of the three..
(And perhaps there's somebody out there to put the first and second line together in a single one)

b) when you are using "/dev/tts/USB1"
feed gnome-pilot with this as the device... it puts out an error message which could be ignored - it works nevertheless

hth
Necoro