On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 08:08:04PM +0200, Richard Fish wrote

> What are your MAKEOPTS?  Based on the above, it looks like two make
> threads tried to build libhistory.a, because xmalloc.o is removed and
> compiled twice.  My guess is that, with only 128M of ram, you do _not_
> want anything above -j1.

  Thanks, that seems to have done the trick.  bash is item 9 of 83 on
the list of "emerge --pretend --emptytree system".  I changed MAKEOPTS
to -j1 and emerge is now working on groff, which is 16 of 83.  Today is
a holiday in Canada.  The system emerge should be finished before I go
to bed.  I'll pick things up tomorrrow after work.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will