I shut down my computer normally. When I turned it on, though, after logging into GNOME about an hour ago, I'm still waiting for it to boot. I enter my password, wait forever, and then the Gentoo logo pops up. Wait forever again, and then the icons appear in the box, and then the box disappears. Now I'm still waiting forever.

The last thing I remember doing is modifying /etc/conf.d/rc, emerging Thunderbird, and fetching some sources for another Gentoo box. I've tried failsafe GNOME, same thing. Failsafe terminal works, though. The mouse works and I can Ctrl-Alt-Backspace whenever I want and X/GNOME restarts.

Anybody know what's going on?  GNOME never used to do this before.
--

Colin