I admit that this is a pretty generic idea... but I hope no-one sees harm in me asking about it here... I plan to do this with gentoo... so if someone else has had a similar plan... maybe they could offer me the benefit of their wisdom :-)

Assumptions:
1. There are two Linux Hosts connected to the internet by ADSL (512/256Kbps) and that for, say, 6 hours each night this bandwidth is mostly unused. 2. Each Linux Host has under 1GB of "current" files - and under 100Mb of this changes each day on each host. 3. The (different) administrators of each host do not want to take responsibility for keeping the others' data secret, and neither wants the responsibility of having access to the other's files.
   4.   A daily backup is desired by the administrator of each host.

Any solution needs to operate transparently - reporting any failures to the administrator responsible for the data which has failed to be backed up. Furthermore, any solution must:

1. Manage disk usage and consume bandwidth subject to the constraints of the administrator. 2. Use strong encryption in order to eliminate fear that the backup copy my compromise secrecy of backup data. 3. Require the transmission only of the changed data (in order to minimise consumption of bandwidth)

Is anyone familiar with any projects with these aims?