[EMAIL PROTECTED] schreef:
> Thank you for the explanation.  That clears it up.  I don't  play the Doom
> series either - I have Soldier of Fortune and Half-LIfe along with some
> others.  And I have an Nvidia card <G>.

Yes, well, I hate you :) . But it is important to mention on behalf of
any other idio-- umm, unfortunate ATI users-- like myself, that our
regrettable choice of video card also has an effect on the situation.

But as to the original question, here are some important resources:

The Wine application database at http://appdb.winehq.org

This resource is not well-maintained atm, but it's trying to come back,
so if you are a Wine user, please register, log in, and update
application information, or even apply to maintain an application so
that the developers can easily see if an app regressed after a monthly
release.

Wine now also has a Wiki at http://wiki.winehq.org/FrontPage, and the
"user wiki" is at http://wine-wiki.org/ .

Naturally, this also needs user support to survive, so any Wine users
might consider contributing.

The Transgaming games database at http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/ .

These resources require you to be a TG subscriber to contribute, but
anyone can read the data already provided. It's also not that
well-maintained (a lot of listed games don't have any info because no
one has tested them yet), but it is at least a place to start. TG also
has a Wiki, and if the game in question has an entry there, it is linked
in the gamesdb, so that's nice.

Codeweavers (Crossover Office) also has an application database at

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/ .

But I must say, in my experience with the CX demo, they hardly need
one-- only one "unsupported" app that I threw at it did not run
(CloneCD; but it installed fine)-- and that just doesn't run under
Linux, period, afaict.  I've found Crossover to be really great, pretty
easy to use, looks like a real program, and if it ran games instead of
only applications that I have no use for (such as Office and Access and
the like), I would buy it in a minute. In fact, I'm almost sorry that I
have no use for it, because it's the kind of thing I *want* to buy, just
to show my support for how good it is.

So for the applications that the OP wants to run (namely Office), I
would recommend it, but if the OP doesn't want to spend any money, I
would recommend Wine with WineTools:

http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/

which should make it easier to get Office installed and running if you
really must have it.

However, WineTools vastly prefers the "last stable for Office" Wine
version, which is considered by the developer to be 20041019 (which is
still available in Portage). However, the developer does welcome
information on any further applications that users successfully install
and run with WineTools, so they can be included in the supported list,
which can be found at

http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/wt212jo.html

As you might have guessed, I'm a pretty big Wine-head, and follow
developments fairly closely. As such, on the whole I would say that no
version or variant of Wine is (at this time, but that may be changing,
as soon as within the next quarter) sufficient for all cases, unless you
have very specific (and limited) needs.

If you don't play games, for example (or only simple ones not requiring
DX support), then Crossover (or Wine and WineTools) is probably sufficient.

If you play games, but only older ones (I'm re-playing Deus Ex and
Septerra Core atm), then Wine alone may be sufficient, but you may
require more than one version (an installed binary and a compiled CVS,
for example), as things have been known to break (regress) from month to
month.

On the other hand, Wine can really surprise you sometimes with what runs
"out of the box"-- on one of my "live on the edge" days, I installed In
Memoriam (Missing: Since January in Europe), which is only a year and a
half old, under either Wine 20050111 or 20050211. I didn't really expect
it to work, especially since the game requires an Internet connection,
both because you get a FreeWeb account (which enables a password to be
sent to you so you can even play the game), and because it also contains
a lot of embedded links in the puzzle graphics to get clues (it's a
"pre-murder" mystery adventure game, and I was having Adventure Game
Withdrawal Syndrome, which is why I was trying this at all).

To my complete and total shock, everything worked fine. I think I may
have had to install the Shockwave Flash Player by hand under Wine (but
had I been playing this under Windows, I would have had to do that as
well, so I don't count that as "tweaking"). But it worked. I told the
game to use my GMail account, and it sent the password there (meaning it
got the information correctly, because Wine was able to use my
DSL-via-the LAN connection properly to send it). Even more amazing, I
didn't have to install IE or any such thing-- I clicked on a link in the
game, and the game opened my installed Firefox.

You have no idea how amazed I was that Wine just managed all this
without me having to do anything special. The point being, don't dismiss
Wine just because it may not claim to run any given "super game" or
"super app", whereas Cedega does. There are not a few things that
nonetheless run better under Wine than under Cedega, Wine has at least
one feature that beats Cedega hands-down (drive mapping through symlinks
rather than the config file-- very helpful if an installer needs to
change CDs, but locks the drive when requesting the CD change, as some
older installers do), and Wine's humility tends to conceal the fact that
it does have a few neat tricks up its virtual sleeve.

If you want to play most current (DX9, but not DX 9.0c) games now
(rather than waiting for Wine), then you probably want Cedega, but then
you probably also want Point2Play (the GUI interface to Cedega), because
Transgaming *definitely* breaks things that used to work in their
never-ending quest to get the latest and greatest FPS running. For
example, an old (but very well-regarded) RPG, Planescape:Torment, works
with WineX 2.2.1, and with no WineX or Cedega version thereafter. The
voting population (subscribing to Cedega gives you the right to vote on
what they'll work on fixing) has not succeeded in placing this high
enough to get it some kind of priority, so if you wanted to play that
*and* HL2, you would have to install both WineX 2.2.1 and Cedega-- which
Point2Play allows you to do easily (in this case, so does Portage, but
Point2Play keeps better track of things in the Cedega backend, since
that's what it's for). Planescape is far from the only game that broke
after version name.your.poison (you can find a lot of this information
if the game has a Wiki entry, which usually specifies which Cedega
version works best). Point2Play seems to bring other problems, though
(some things will install or run properly under command-line Cedega, but
get borked under Point2Play, for example). But if you have to manage
multiple WineX/Cedega versions, it's really the best tool for the job
(despite its imperfections).

I'm also working on a big "master list" of what I have (or my boyfriend
has) and tend to play (or that he would want to play if I ever got him
to switch to Linux) that works under what version of what Wine variant
(because I'm just tired of trying to figure this out all over again
every time I reorganize my system). Should I ever get it done, I'll
certainly post it to the Web (and I'm mentioning it so that I have some
impetus to actually get it done; it's a bloody big job). On that basis,
I would say that it is currently not possible to just choose one and be
good to go. You'll probably need at least two Wine variants to cover all
your bases. Wine and Cedega, Wine and CX, or CX and Cedega.

However, with any two variants installed, you can probably run most any
relatively common/popular program you need to, usually with minimal or
no tweaking. If you stick to the Win98 default emulation, and if you
have a Win98 license, making real Win98 dlls legally available for use,
you can tweak a large proportion of things that must be tweaked into
running (because they need native Windows DLLs not installed by the app
itself but by Windows). Trying to emulate XP, though-- all bets are off
(afaik, neither Wine nor Cedega supports XP emulation or native XP DLLs
very well yet). Special-interest programs, such as those needed for
semi-pro audio recording, seem to be more of a crap-shoot at the moment,
but more because those interested are just starting to come forward and
publicize their results with specific programs, rather than because the
programs cannot be gotten to work. It rather seems that with tweaking, a
fair number of them can (isn't that right, Mr. Knecht, if you're here?).

OK, so that's the summary of pretty much every piece of general
knowledge I have about Wine and its variants. Hope it was useful :) .

Holly