oldconfig usually works for minor version changes - just don't use it to go from say a 2.4 to 2.6.

xconfig needs qt installed - I get an error about qt when I try to run it.

*
* Unable to find the QT installation. Please make sure that the
* QT development package is correctly installed and the QTDIR
* environment variable is set to the correct location.
*
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/.tmp_qtcheck] Error 1
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2