On Saturday 28 May 2005 10:47, Mark Shields wrote:
> Obviously, if you've never used sudo you'll have to emerge the package
> app-admin/sudo.  Then, configure /etc/sudoers with the visudo command.
>  Find #%wheel  ALL=(ALL)        ALL  and uncomment it.  Then, add the
> user you want to be able to use sudo to the wheel group (usermod -g
> <name>).  And that's it.

> The user should now be able to use sudo,
> provide they enter the root password when using it.
This part is not right I believe, the good thing of sude is that you scalate
privileges by using your own password, not root's password, I don't even know
root's passwords of the server.

> If you don't want
> to have the use a password to use sudo (highly recommended you do),
> uncomment # %wheel        ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL instead.

BTW, I think you missunderstood the question, I have sudo isntalled, I know
how it works and I am using it to do anything that requires root on my server
(after logging in as pupeno). My question is, how do I run a command like
this:
rsync --verbose --checksum --archive --partial --progress --rsh="ssh"
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/var/ ./var/
having root-privileges on the server.
--
Pupeno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (http://pupeno.com)