Mark Knecht wrote:

>This is, unfortunately, a very bad idea for removable media. What was
>sdb2 today will become sdc2 tomorrow and the suggestion you make will
>not work.
>
>I'm having a fun time with this machine since I switched to udev.
>Twice today the partitions did not mount using the LABEL method but 3
>times they did. I guess it works, but not always...

Hmm, it sounds like udev is not making the device nodes consistently.
You might want to create them manually (cd /dev ; /sbin/MAKEDEV sda sdb
sdc sdd), then do a clean shutdown/restart.  That will update
/lib/udev-state/devices.tar.bz2.

You could also turn on udev logging (/etc/udev/udev.conf), and see what
turns up in the messages file.

-Richard