maxim wexler schreef:
> Hello everyone,
>
> on my former "main" box, K6-II, 500MHz I've managed to
> get to startx and, since grokking dialup, am
> web-surfing. Here's the issue: when Firefox opened up
> the first time it invited me to upgrade which I did by
> clicking the link provided. But now when I navigate to
> Firefox Extensions and click on Sage install, nothing
> happens.
>
> Is there an ebuild I need? On a related note: as I
> discover other programs I like, what is the procedure
> for installing them if they are not found among the
> distfiles or gentoo pkges? Do you just unpack and run
> the install scripts a la slack-ware?
>
> -mw

Hi Maxim,

Really, there are very few programs that you (as a general user) might
like that are not found within Portage. Certainly Firefox is-- as a
precompiled binary as well as a source tarball.

So frankly I don't know what has happened when you upgraded some
otherwise-installed Firefox via some internal Firefox script to upgrade
to some unknown version. Meaning, I don't know what files and folders
you actually have, rather than the defaults installed by Portage.

Certainly I've had similar problems when my Portage-installed Azureus
client updates itself via the update utility (rather than through
Portage). It's just not a good idea.

That said, the first thing that occurs to me is that the Sage extension
(and possibly all of your extensions) may only be installable by root,
because the file where this "global" extension is kept is only writeable
by root. Most extensions install to ~/.mozilla/firefox/extensions, but
some require being in the application's directory rather than the user
directory, due to needing access to internal program functions. In the
case of a non-standard install, it's quite possible that all extensions
need to be installed by root.

What you describe is the behaviour I've sometimes seen when an extension
must be installed by root and cannot be installed by a user (depends on
extension; some of them try and fail to install, some won't even try).

It's also possible that the download has been blocked; the bar that
appears on top of a page when Firefox blocks a download from a
non-authorized site is easy to miss. If this is the case, it's also easy
to fix; the bar tells you where to click and then displays the
Reject/Allow dialog, so you can easily allow the site through (if you
trust it).  By default, the only site allowed is the new https site
(Mozilla Update), so if you aren't using that, you probably should be.
However, I know of several other "semi-official" sites, such as
Extension Room, which used to be official but are now "deprecated" by
the new site, yet are still useful on occasion. Such sites will be
blocked for downloading by the browser until you authorize them, but I
see no issue with authorizing them if needed or wanted.

So it's probably one of those two things. But if I was you, I would
emerge sync and install Firefox through Portage before going any further
anyway.

Hope this helps.
Holly