On 5/30/05, Ow Mun Heng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 10:13 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > On 5/30/05, Ow Mun Heng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think those binary packages
> > > propagate into /var/db as well. (IF they do, I think they might not
> > > reflect the actual USE flags used to built the binary.
> >
> > This probably accounts for revdep-rebuild never getting it quite right
> > for binary packages like openoffice-bin and always wanting to
> > re-emerge it again?
> >

> So.. I'm not the only one who gets that. (and I always thought it was
> some gremlins)
>
> Perhaps one can ask chinstrap.alternating.net since they do host binary
> packages

No, you're not the only one. I wondered a bit about this a few weeks
ago and found a number of comments in the forums and Bugzilla that
revdep-rebuild doesn't work very well yet for binary packages. I see
this with openoffice-bin and thunderbird-bin.

It seems logical that if I don't know the flags used for a binary
build that somewhere along the way I'm going to miss some dependency
on my system.

Take care and thanks,
Mark