Andreas Karlsson schreef:
> Hi,
>
> KDE 3.4.1 was released today:
>
> http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-3.4.1.php
>
> I am compiling it right now. Just a little question regarding aRTS. I
> compiled
> into 3.4.0 but now I have decided to dump it. Could there be any problem
> compiling with USE="-alsa" for 3.4.1 (if there is, I would probably have to
> recompile again, as I use that right now :) )?
>
> Best regards,
> Andreas Karlsson

Do you mean -alsa, or -arts? If the latter (which makes more sense,
given your first sentence), I hope not, as I am about to do the exact
same thing.

If you are using aRTS, then -alsa will compile arts without ALSA support
(which means, afaik, that you'd better be using OSS, or you will have no
sound, as artsd won't be able to access the ALSA devices, although OSS
emulation *might* still work; I'm not sure).

If you are using alsa, then -arts will compile KDE without support for
the artsd daemon, which means no system sounds and the like, but
multimedia programs that can use ALSA or ALSA's OSS emulation should be
fine.

At least, I hope so, or I'll be two days compiling arts support out and
back in myself :) .

Holly