Hi,

I can't stand it anymore, so I thought I'd fish here for ideas.

The long and the short of it is that I cannot load the GNOME desktop as
a user (works fine as root).

The splash screen comes up, but only 2 icons show in the progress bar
before the splash disappears-- Sessions, and Window manager, iirc.
Already not good (no Nautilus, no Metacity, no gnome-panel...).

Then the panel tries to come up, the panel backgrounds (currently set as
the default top and bottom panels) display (empty), then disappear. This
happens about 5 or 6 times (I suspect related to how many panel applets
are attempting to load). No desktop appears, no panels load, right-click
on the desktop produces no menu (since Nautilus isn't running,
presumably) and since I don't know the GNOME shortcut key to open a Run
Box, I pretty much have to Ctrl+Alt+Backspace out to GDM and load
another WM.

This happens with both the regular GNOME entry and the Failsafe GNOME entry.

I have deleted ~/.gconf, ~/.gconfd, ~/.gnome, ~/.gnome2,
~/.gnome2_private, and ~/.gnome_private and allowed my login attempt to
regenerate them (supposedly), but this had no effect. Since GNOME loads
fine when root logs in, GNOME itself is presumably not broken, but
rather the user is.

What's left to delete and regenerate? Does anybody know what I might do
to fix this (short of creating a new user, which I'm not going to do :) )?

Thanks for any help,

Holly, hanging out in IceWM while KDE 3.4.1 compiles.