Hello again Richard,

Well, the plot thickens...

I found that the header file with the ToPIC97 information is
        /usr/src/linux/drivers/pcmcia/topic.h
on both SuSE and gentoo, and on my SuSE system that was indeed
included by the i82365 driver as I has surmised
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/linux/drivers/pcmcia>  grep topic.h *.c
        i82365.c:#include "topic.h"
but on my 2.6 gentoo system it has moved:
        1.penemunde:/usr/src/linux/drivers/pcmcia> grep topic.h *.c
        yenta_socket.c:#include "topic.h"
as you had discovered.

So that would seem to explain why using my working 2.4 system to
identify the needed drivers might have misled me...

I'll let you know how it goes when the compile completes. It takes
a while on that 233MHz system...

Thanks again.

Regards,
DigbyT