> You should now reboot, and get a boot menu from the
> floppy disk.  If so,

Here's what happens: Grub loading stage2....

followed by the menu. Gentoo or WinXp. WinXP boots OK.
When Gentoo is chosen however, a console opens with
the words: Booting Gentoo
                 root (hd0,1)

then nothing.

> The thing is, some BIOSs cannot access cylinders
> above 1024, which even
> in LBA mode means the boot files must exist within
> the first 8GB of the
> disk.  In non-LBA mode, the limit is even lower.  I
> don't know how big
> your hda1 partition is, but it is always safest to
> put /boot first.

But this BIOS is supposed to be up to-date. It's a
fresh ASUS brd which came with a utility on CD that
let's you update the BIOS from the WinXP desktop.

>From the very first screen:

ASUS 'K8N-E-Deluxe' ACPI BIOS Revision 1009 BETA 002

Gentoo 2005.0 is on the(roughly) 2nd half of a 120G
Maxtor with WinXP on the first half. But I just
applied  the break on the boot screen and I see

                          Size    LBA
  Blk
Primary Master :Hard DIsk 122.9GB Off 16Sec Good Off
UDMA6 4