On 2005-06-04 11:11 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Pri Master: IBM-DPTA-371360 P74IA30A
>     Ultra-DMA Mode 4, S.M.A.R.T capable and status OK
> Pri.Slave: TOSHIBA CDW/DVD SD-R1612 TB02
>     Ultra-DMA Mode 2
> Auto-Detecting USB Mass Storage Devices
> 00 USB mass storage devices found and configured
>
> Primary Master Hard Disk Error
> Press F1 to resume

Since using nodma was what allowed you to boot the installation CD, I
would start off with disabling DMA in the BIOS (and possibly on the
kernel command line, if you are not already doing that) and see if
that makes any difference.

You may also want to double-check to make sure you are not
accidentially using Cable Select on either drive. That made the BIOS
on my system very unhappy at reboot (power cycling was fine, however).

--
Michael Kjörling, [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://michael.kjorling.com/
* ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Against HTML Mail, Proprietary Attachments *