Michael W. Holdeman wrote:

>On Saturday 04 June 2005 10:17 am, Oscar Carlsson wrote:
>

>>I use KDE 3.4.1 with hald and dbus started - and when I plug my usb based
>>mp3-mplayer in, KDE takes care of the mounting etc, and a device icon pops
>>up on my desktop...
>>It's really, really nice!
>>

>I see dbus in portage, where is hald??
>
>Mike

Hi,
Think "hald" was a typo it should be "hal" (hardware abstraction layer ?).
By memory i'm using fam/gamin which is "file alternating manager"
(correct here if wrong), or 'gamin' which is still testing-masked
(~x86). This is part of gnome management i think.
First comes "dbus" on top if which is "hal" and at the end - "ivman" (or
'gnome-volume-manger').
Just checked that 'dbus' doesn't depend on fam/gamin. So it's
dbus-->hal-->ivman.
All this works OK, just may be it doesn't show 'new' devices on
KDE-desktop (also had problems with floppies, don't have now), but works
with CD/CD-RW/DVD/DVD-RW, USB (my experience).
HTH. Rumen