> I can also give you the instructions for making a
> bootable CD if you
> want to try that.  It isn't terribly hard, actually
> it is a bit easier
> than getting grub to work from a hard disk!  But a
> CD-RW drive/disk
> would be the most useful...
>
> cd /tmp
> mkdir -p cdboot/boot/grub
> cd cdboot
> cp /boot/vmlinuz boot/
> cp /boot/grub/stage2_eltorito boot/grub/
> cp /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz boot/grub/
> cp /boot/grub/grub.conf boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> Notice that the grub.conf file *must* be renamed to
> menu.lst.  You will
> also need to edit 'boot/grub/menu.lst', and change
> all "(hd0,1)/grub" to
> "(cd)/boot/grub".  The result should be something
> like:
>
> splashimage=(cd)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Gentoo
>     kernel (cd)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4
               ^
I'm guessing this should be (cdrom), my first
cd-drive(/dev/hdc)

Here's menu.lst, please check for errors:

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(cdrom)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title=Gentoo
#root (hd0,1)
kernel (cdrom)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4
title=WinXP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

> Finally, to make the ISO, run (should all be on one
> line, without the
> backslashes):
>
> mkisofs -o /tmp/cdboot.iso -R \
>     -b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito \
>     -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table
> \
>     .
>
> Burn /tmp/cdboot.iso to a CD-R[W], and you should be
> set.

What is the preferred method to burn a CD? cdrecord?
It's not on my system. Popped in the 2005,0 pkg CD and
did

#mount /cdrom
#export PKGDIR =/cdrom
#emerge -av --usepkg cdrecord

and got

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "cdrecord"

-mw