Hi,

I guess that means that you either have smaller disks than me, or a
larger tape drive...

But assuming you do regular backups, how do you figure out which
parts of the filesystem need to be scanned if the static stuff isn't
confined to a separate filesystem?

What do you use for your tape backpus? I prefer to use 'dump' for my
tape backups which really requires backups to be done by filesystem,
but I suppose if you use something else the partitioning might be
less critical. But I like to use the ability to mount filesytems
read-only to make sure that I know where changes have occured.

As far as usr/lib is concerned, historically it was not too important
except during software development. Putting shared libraries there is
comparitively recent, and it does seem a bit questionable to put programs
in /[s]bin that use shared libraries in /usr...

Perhaps this is the real explanation for the emergence of this 'boot'
partition. People that didn't understand that the root filesystem was
designed to be a self contained environment for the boot process had
introduced interdependencies, so a new 'minimal' filesystem for booting
was required. My adherence to the traditional layout means my root
partition is independent and under 2M, so I havn't needed a separate
'/boot' partition.

Regards,
DigbyT