On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 21:02:56 -0700 (PDT)
Zac Medico <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- reg hughson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I have had xpdf installed for some time but haven't
> > used it for a couple of weeks so don't really know
> > which version caused me the problem...I now notice
> > that the xpdf executable that used to be in /usr/bin
> > no longer exists.
> >
> > I did a search through the forums and found that I
> > wasn't alone. However, all of the solutions listed
> > in the forums involved openmotif or the xprint use
> > flag or both. I have followed all of their
> > suggestions including re-emerging xorg, openmotif
> > and xpdf in any number of combinations. The result
> > is the same....no xpdf bin file.
> >
> > Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
> >

> Hi reg,
>
> You need to run motif-config before you merge xpdf
> with USE=-nomotif.  You can use either openmotif or
> lesstif and this is how you choose.
>
> Zac

Thanks Zac but that didn't do it.

When I run (as root), motif-config -l, I get this

[1] openmotif-2.2 *

so I do (also as root)  motif-config -s openmotif-2.2 and I get

rm: cannot remove `/usr/include/Mrm': Is a directory
rm: cannot remove `/usr/include/uil': Is a directory
rm: cannot remove `/usr/include/Xm': Is a directory
rm: cannot remove `/usr/include/Mrm': Is a directory
ln: `/usr/include/Mrm/Mrm': File exists
rm: cannot remove `/usr/include/uil': Is a directory
ln: `/usr/include/uil/uil': File exists
rm: cannot remove `/usr/include/Xm': Is a directory
ln: `/usr/include/Xm/Xm': File exists
 * /usr/bin/motif-config: New default Profile is: openmotif-2.2

after which I do USE="-nomotif" emerge xpdf and in amongs the spillage on the
screen I get

configure: WARNING: Couldn't find X / Motif -- you will be able to compile
        pdftops, pdftotext, pdfinfo, pdffonts, pdftoppm, and pdfimages,
        but not xpdf

So obviously something is not right with the openmotif install. Maybe it is
this particular version of openmotif as I used to use xpdf all the time without
incident. I will have to go through the emerge.log and find out when this
version was installed. In the meantime, any other suggestions would be
appreciated.