> > The man page states that
> > emerge generates a list of packages which it expects
> > to be installed by checking the system package list
> > and the world file.
> >
> > Which brings me to my final questions...where is
> > this package list? Is it, as one person already
> > stated, simply the list of directories, etc. below
> > /var/lib/pkg? And if it is, then how does one do an
> > "emerge -Du" on the package list, not just the world
> > list, thereby updating EVERYTHING on your system?
> >

> The system package list comes from the profile linked
> from /etc/make.profile.  Portage uses stacked or
> cascading profiles now so it uses all the "package"
> files of your profile and all the ones inherited from
> it's parents.
>
> In the emerge manpage it says that the system class is
> a subset of the world class so "emerge -uDN world"
> does everything.

I do understand that but clearly on my system, "emerge -DuN world" does not do
everything as it misses gdm. Searching back through my old emerge logs, I found
that gdm was installed originally as part of the gnome class. Gnome has long
since been removed and I am assuming gdm was missed in that removal process.

Bottom line, at least from my perspective, is my original question stems from a
fault of the way packages like gnome or kde are emerged and then subsequently
unemerged. Maybe emerge should be keeping better track of the items in a
package like gnome or kde and then "emerge -C gnome" would have have avoided
this whole thread. :)

However, now since I use gdm, I guess the only answer is that i should just
edit /var/lib/portage/world and add gdm to it. End of story. Thanks.